Thursday, April 17, 2008

Being Judgemental

Ok.....So here is a little moral question for you. Let's say you are at your 1rst grade child's music performance and you meet the parents of one of her closest girlfriends. And let's say they both have big nose rings....the kind that goes through the middle of the nostrils and hangs down.????? And they run a Pitbull rescue. The mother was nice enough and Corinne quite enjoys their daughter (although I've had to teach child that the other seems to make up stories but it's ok to be imaginative.) Do you encourage this friendship? Do you judge people by their appearance and distance yourself?




In the past, I will admit that I would have been drawn to "alternative" people but when dealing with my daughter...mmmm...not so sure. I'm not that worried about it as we haven't had playdates (she is coming to the bday party.) Seems like the kids change friends every year depending on who is in their class. It's just an interesting point that I have been pondering. What do you think?




4 comments:

malissa said...

To me, the pit bull thing would make me more nervous than the nose ring. I know what you mean though, Has Corinne been invited over? If not, maybe its just a school/birthday party friend type of thing?

Perrin said...

I agree...I would definitly have many questions for them about dogs and probably wouldn't let her play there. But really..it's just school so far. I'm not too worried about. Corinne adores this girl but hasn't asked for a playdate yet. Just contemplating.

kurlokids said...

I would be iffy on the whole playdate thing too...I guess it is just normal to be more judgmental when it comes to our children, and that is okay too...

Anonymous said...

So.... you don't care about the nose ring. You just don't want Corinne to get one :-) and no matter what, I'd say no to visits to their house. ANY dog can become vicious. Pitbulls are by nature that way, no matter how many hugs you give them.
My first comment, and I'm already bossing! :-) luvs... Barb