Friday, May 25, 2007

My kid


Oh how I love my child. I really think she is the cat's meow (I'm a geek..that's what is coming to mind). But she does challenge me. I have a feeling we will have a complicated mother/daughter relationship (are they all that way?). I have been blown away by my social outgoing girl who seems to be a natural born leader. She is completely opposite of what I would have thought my daughter would be like. I was a truely shy girl who would have been happy hiding behind my mother's skirt forever (until I became a teenager and she started to annoy me :-) )
Anyway.....she had her first group playdate with 3 other girls from school today. I got a phone call half way through saying she was locked in the bathroom bawling. She has this little hot button issue of being devastated by the thought of being left out or if someone says they are not her friend. We had 3 playdates, 3 days in a row where she got grouchy or upset. I guess it is a bad week but I have my own issues of being social in a group setting and I hate to see her feel out of it too. I don't really have a clear point here.....it's just hard to see your child behave like this. She is pretty mature in a lot of ways but she is just a kindergartener. This group wants to start weekly playdates with the 4 girls but right now that sounds horrible. Obviously is she keeps acting this way she will be left out of it. I dread the issues that will come in the future with girls/cliques/heartbreak, etc. I have a feeling we will see our fair share of it all.
So...we have a 3 day weekend ahead of us with nothing scheduled. How awesome! There is a lot of yard work to be done and party preparations to be completed. I know we will fill it up quickly but right now 3 free days sounds luxurious. I hit Blockbuster and rented Pan's Labrinth (Jeff's request), Breaking & Entering, The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking, and Muppets in Space. My kids just love Muppets Treasure Island so I would guess this will be a big hit. I can't wait to introdice Corinne to Pippi.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't it so difficult to see kids deal with these issues at such a young age? Seriously, girls will forever be worse than boys at snubbing each other. I hope Corinne will eventually learn that half the stuff our silly 'friends' say is not to be fretted over. But you know, Corinne's a total doll, so just when she finds really great friends, they'll start to hate her because she's stealing all the boys! :)

kurlokids said...

Sorry to hear of the hard day for Miss Corrine! It is hard to watch your kids in situations like this isn't it? I feel for you and her.

Brenda said...

Sorry about Corrine's hard day. As a mother it is heart breaking. Carson came home from school one day with a similar story. Apparently he had approached several kids asking if they'd play with him and they all said no. It broke my heart. Carson said to me, "why wouldn't they play with me mom? That wasn't very nice".

I hope you enjoy the long weekend! Oh - and your check is in the mail - I promise - sorry for the delay!!!